Friday, January 30, 2009

Putts On Hogs

I married a biker. This came as a surprise to those who knew me back in high school. I was the quiet girl, the opera singer and on the lookout for a cowboy. But life is full of U-turns. I traded in my Stetson dreams for a bandana and the open road.
For anyone who has never hung around bikers of the Harley variety, the lifestyle and lingo can be a bit confusing. For instance, I am the Ol-Lady. Even back in 79’ at 18 years of age that was my official title. My husband is of course my Ol-Man. The bike is referred to as a Hog a sled, or a scooter. When it is running badly the ol-man sometimes calls it a Pig. Bikes that are run down, rusty or generally un-cared for are Rats.
Here is our 1979 Lowrider.

















A "Putt" is the biker’s main goal, to be “In the Wind”. The road is the prize and miles are the key. If you’re the kind of rider that likes to spend a lot of time in a bar or standing around looking pretty in your leathers then some may call you a sidewalk commando.





Here we see our Hog dressed for a long Run. Note the helmets stowed for use in states with helmet laws. My Ya Ya’s will appreciate the bright Orange T-Shirt with customary Harley emblem. In the background you can also see the ramp for easy storage of the bike on the porch, except for winter when the sled lives in the living room of course.


Any self respecting biker has a wardrobe. Here’s mine in the summer of 1980



















Biker Nuptials with a ride off into the sunset.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

OMG! I am sooo gonna love your blogging even more than I do if it continues to bring out pics I've never seen before. Girl, where have you hidden these jewels? :)

Gotta dig the one in your "uniform"...my favorite part? Your Grandmas watch...even in your "rebellion ensemble" the sweet Y we know is on your wrist. Dual personalities!

And I can't believe you ever wore orange...the things we did in our youth.

Jenny said...

I love the photos and the general fun of this post.

Tink said...

sdandf...your blog is like a box found in the attic from 100 years ago...full of the most wonderful things!! I heart Vonney the bikerchick so much!!

Yve said...

I had to sit and cry for a few minutes. Not for what was lost... well, I'm not sure why. I was there for the last one (don't you dare post that picture). It marked the end of something for me and it's only looking back that I can see what it began. All the things I loved about my sister (who was riding off on the back of that ridiculous machine) that I was sure were gone forever hadn't vanished but just moved to a humble cottage down town. It wasn't until after this that my sister really became my friend. Love you, and the ol-man, and the silly machine that took you to far away places - and brought you back to share with us.